We want you to help us establish Classy as THE thought leader in social impact and fundraising. Help us build our dataset and leverage it to publish reports that support awesome organizations achieve their goals to do good.
We’re looking for a data engineer who understands that the key to great analytics and machine learning is a clean, diverse dataset, and has experience building great datasets from challenging and varied sources:
- Accessing / querying a variety of data sources (relational databases, no-SQL databases, Salesforce, csvs, JSON APIs, web scraping).
- Filtering and transforming such data to dedupe records and clean the individual data fields.
- Cross-referencing data with public datasets or paid APIs, to augment the dataset.
- Ability to use AWS tools, such as Lambda (via serverless), Cloudformation, and Redshift.
You will work on a small, talented team of web developers, data analysts, and data scientists to help build the best dataset possible to guide our business and help guide our customers in online fundraising. With this dataset, we’ll aim to answer questions such as:
- What charities are most likely to succeed on our platform?
- What factors predict whether a fundraising campaign is successful?
- How do we identify top fundraising users as early as possible?
- Can we automatically score how good a user’s text and images are for fundraising?
- Much, much more!
You will have chances to leverage your existing skills while learning new ones, in a fast-paced startup environment. You will be among the first to work with our unique in-house dataset, to help discover new insights in how Classy can best support organizations and their supporters to do good in the world.
Who You Are:
- 2+ years of work experience in programming, data scraping, and data querying (preferably all three).
- Prefer individuals who have completed one or more self-led data science projects, from data aggregation to publishing text and visualizations (the more diverse the data sources, the better!).
- Great attitude
- Eagerness to learn
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent communicator
Desirable traits also include:
- Using appropriate statistical / machine-learning methods to analyze the data
- Publishing insights (visualizations and text, internal presentations & blogging)
- Prototyping tools (via web programming) to expose these insights internally and/or externally (to non-profit organizations)
Our awesome perks!
- New expansive office in downtown San Diego overlooking Petco Park baseball stadium and the ocean
- 29 days off annually including vacation + holidays
- 10 half-day Fridays a year
- 20 hours paid volunteer time off
- Monthly parking pass, public transit pass, or ride-share allowance
- Employee health benefits available day one
- Pet friendly office (woof!)
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience in a SaaS company backed by prominent technology investors, including JMI Equity, Mithril, Salesforce Ventures, and Bullpen Capital. Classy has raised $53 million to-date in growth capital. For more information, visit www.classy.org or follow Classy on Twitter: @Classy.
Classy is a social enterprise that creates world-class online fundraising tools for nonprofits, modernizing the giving experience to accelerate social impact around the world. Originally started as a beach-side pub crawl to raise money for cancer research, Classy has built a powerful donor ecosystem that, since 2011, has helped thousands of organizations raise over half a billion dollars – with fundraising doubling on the platform every year since launch. Classy is trusted by organizations of all sizes, from the fastest-growing nonprofits like Team Rubicon and Malala Fund, to some of the world’s largest social organizations, such as Acumen Fund, Heifer International, and Shriners Hospitals for Children.
A VC-backed SaaS company based in San Diego, CA and recognized by Fast Company as one of the Most Innovative Companies for Social Good, Classy boasts a culture that is exciting, result-oriented, and above all else, committed to our mission. Our customers deserve a technology solution—and a team— that can transform the giving experience. We’d love for you to be a part of it. Today, the 225-person Classy team services over 3,000 nonprofit customers and also hosts the annual Classy Awards to shine a spotlight on the innovative work nonprofits are implementing around the globe.
Today, the 225-person Classy team services over 3,000 nonprofit customers and also hosts the Collaborative and Classy Awards to recognize excellence in social innovation.