Classkick is growing, and so is the Platform team! This role at Classkick is an opportunity to optimize and evolve our cloud platform so it continues to keep our high-traffic, realtime, distributed platform healthy and scalable.
We're seeking a Senior Cloud Platform Engineer that's dreamed about having the chance to optimize and evolve cloud platform infrastructure, look no further. With your expertise you'll identify needs, and then roll up your sleeves! Your technical leadership will help define, improve, and continuously build towards an operationally mature and streamlined cloud platform. Your impacts will ensure our more than 700,000 daily active students and educators across the world are happy and productive this year, and for years to come.
What you'll do
- Optimize cloud infrastructure.
- Design, build, and evolve cloud platform components, and operational tooling.
- Help guide the technical strategy for our cloud platform.
- Work cross-functionally and support product engineering teams as they use our platform.
- Help to improve our pipelines and deployment capabilities.
- Be a champion of quality engineering on the team.
- Mentor and help other engineers on the team to grow.
Outcomes you'll meet
- Assess and report on the current state of our cloud platform: identify and prioritize needs.
- Collaborate with the VPE and Platform team in defining a platform roadmap for the next 6 months.
- Own and lead platform roadmap work: perform hands-on implementations of the needs you've identified. Collaborate with other engineers as needed.
- Define and realize platform KPIs related to roadmap work.
- Increase automation where it makes sense to.
Why you'll be awesome
- You're a self-starter, self-directed learner, love learning and growing.
- You're great at what you do, and pride yourself on doing it with quality.
- You have an eye on timelines and competing priorities, and know when to make tradeoffs.
- You are a proactive and effective communicator.
- Efficiency and clarity make you happy, and you strive for them.
- You love working in a supportive atmosphere of amazing people that treat you like a human first.
- Must haves:
- 7+ years of experience in infrastructure engineering, at least 2 years in a cloud environment.
- A focus on writing high quality, maintainable code.
- Skilled in working with Linux, and proficiency in at least one scripting language such as Bash, Python, Ruby.
- Experience with IaC (Terraform or similar).
- Experience with CI/CD.
- Experience with Docker / Kubernetes.
- Experience leading or overseeing large projects from start to finish.
- Are passionate about improving education.
- Have a strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer.
- Nice to haves
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with Redis, Kafka, MySQL or similar, MongoDB or similar.
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Python, Ruby, Scala, Java.
Classkick’s stack: iOS, Angular, React, Python, Ruby, Scala, GCP, Firebase, MySQL, Kubernetes. Prior familiarity with stack is a bonus. It’s NOT required.
Chicago or Remote
About Our Team
Classkick is a tech startup that loves helping teachers and students. We love it so much, that in non-pandemic periods, we work out of a school every week or two, and have our whole team visit schools to see Classkick in action monthly. We come home to a half day hackathon and build/fix the product that day! We also have a democratized product culture where any team member can use the product system to push through product changes.
Ed-tech is still a young and burgeoning ecosystem. We believe that by building a great product with a great business model, we will create a lasting impact on students’ learning, on teacher effectiveness and the industry at large. Our teacher and student focused culture helped us make the #1 learning activities platform in K-12 (measured by mean session time and/or NPS), with organic growth in 160+ countries.
Classkick’s culture can be described as collaborative, values-focused, self-driven and empowering. While this is a startup and everyone works very hard, we believe in a work-life balance. We are lean and poised to grow quickly. More at classkick.com, instagram.com/classkick or twitter.com/classkick.
Our roadmap includes exciting platform updates to serve the new post-pandemic world and expand to new markets - all informed of course by teacher and student requests. Catch some recent #featuresbyteachers here, here and here.
Some candidates may see the list below and feel discouraged because they don't match all the items. Please apply anyway: there's a good chance you also have important skills we haven't stated. We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. Our reach extends to students all over the country and the globe, and it’s vital our team is representative of those we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, underrepresented people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Classkick’s Core Values
- Advocate for Learners
- Focus on People
- Work Towards Justice
- Stay Curious
Why this opportunity matters
Every day, kids come to class feeling engaged, supported and excited to learn because of Classkick. Our goal is that every student in the world is happy and successful in their education.
To achieve this, we connect students and their school work to all the advocates in their learning: classmates, teachers, parents, anyone invested in them. When the right person is there at the right time - whether with a high five, or some help when stuck - that’s when you get more “Ah ha!” and “OH I got it!” moments. Learning transforms from a chore into a fun and intrinsic experience.
COVID19 has thrown into stark reality the need for holistic approaches that work seamlessly in the classroom and remotely. Education will never be the same again and the world has been calling out for more Classkick. Our traffic 8x-ed in a matter of weeks and it’s only the beginning. We suddenly expanded from being a major tool in the classroom, to becoming the classroom itself. Joining at this stage is pivotal and will have high impact on the future direction of the company.