In alignment with the policy at the NYC Department of Education, all Classical staff members are required to become vaccinated to ensure the safety of our school community. Exemptions from this requirement will be granted for those with a sincerely-held religious belief or medical condition.
Position Reports to: School Director
Start/End Date: 2021-2022 School Year
Hours: 7:30am-4:45pm + some out of school time responsibilities
As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as two-time National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 97% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a classical curriculum focused on art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employees and applicants will be treated in all respects on basis of merit and qualifications without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds to apply. At Classical, we provide comprehensive health benefits, competitive salaries, and opportunities for growth.
The Instructional Coach is passionate about ensuring all scholars succeed in the school’s rigorous academic program through coaching and supporting their teachers. The Instructional Coach has a razor-sharp focus on the school’s mission and the drive to meet key responsibilities:
Coaching and supporting teachers in all elements of instruction
- Performing lesson observations and providing specific and actionable feedback for improvement
- Vetting lesson plans and providing other curricular guidance as needed
- Modeling lessons for teachers
- Assisting teachers with lesson preparation
- Reviewing scholar data with teachers to create actionable steps for classroom instruction
- Working with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Scholar Services Coordinator, At-Risk Specialist and classroom teachers to determine the most appropriate intervention for At-Risk scholars
Training and professional development
- Creating and delivering professional development to teachers and staff during the summer session and on an as-needed basis throughout the course of the year (at least one half day each month).
- Creating individualized improvement plans for struggling teachers and monitoring progress towards clear goals
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Collaborating with teachers to find real solutions to challenges faced in the classroom, using data to drive decision making
- Providing recommendations for school-wide professional development based on the instructional needs of teachers
- Interviewing prospective teachers and observing demonstration lessons
- Experience coaching/developing others in some capacity
- At least 4 years of teaching experience with evidence of strong performance
Successful Candidates Will:
- Have had teaching experience in a rigorous school environment
- Have been an Instructional Coach or administrator in a previous role
- Show alignment to Classical Charter School’s mission and approach
- Exhibit excellent work ethic and organizational skills
- Demonstrate application of our core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency
- Have experience teaching in a high performing urban school