In alignment with the policy at the NYC Department of Education, all Classical staff members are required to become vaccinated to ensure the safety of our school community. Exemptions from this requirement will be granted for those with a sincerely-held religious belief or medical condition.
Position Reports to: School Director
Start/End Date: 2021-2022 School Year
Hours: 7:30am-4:45pm + some out of school time responsibilities
As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as two-time National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 97% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a classical curriculum focused on art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employees and applicants will be treated in all respects on basis of merit and qualifications without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds to apply. At Classical, we provide comprehensive health benefits, competitive salaries, and opportunities for growth.
Fitness Teachers are passionate about promoting the school's classical mission through fitness and helping all students gain knowledge and skills in health, fitness, and movement that will benefit them inside and outside of the classroom. Our teachers are committed to our mission and driven to meet key responsibilities:
- Providing fitness instruction to scholars in a way that maximizes learning
- Establishing and maintaining a highly structured and engaged classroom culture where scholars demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship
Our teachers work relentlessly to achieve these difficult, mission-critical goals. Successful fitness teachers:
- Study, practice, and execute rigorous and engaging lessons that maximize scholars’ physical activity
- Revise lessons for clarity, rigor and relevance, with guidance and support from instructional coaches
- Proactively design and teach routines and procedures that maximize instructional time and minimize time lost to transitions and material organization
- Manage spacing of scholars and equipment to ensure physical safety
- Set and enforce school expectations
- Teach and integrate character education and teamwork into daily activities
- Effectively track and evaluate scholar achievement and participation to pinpoint scholar needs
- Maintain accurate records of student information and assessment data
- Collaborate in teams and with coaches to resolve challenges and implement instructional improvements driven by quantitative and qualitative data
- Proactively seek and implement feedback from team leaders and coaches to improve their practice
Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to achieve life’s greatest joy: doing good work well.
- Experience with children
- Background in exercise science/physical fitness/personal training/health
- Undergraduate degree by first day of work
Successful Candidates Will:
- Have experience working in a charter school
- Maintain strong classroom management skills
- Hold certification in Physical Education or have a degree in Physical Education or another health-related field
- Show alignment to Classical Charter School’s mission and approach
- Exhibit excellent work ethic and organizational skills
- Demonstrate application of our core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency
- Have experience teaching in a high performing urban school