In alignment with the policy at the NYC Department of Education, all Classical staff members are required to become vaccinated to ensure the safety of our school community. Exemptions from this requirement will be granted for those with a sincerely-held religious belief or medical condition.
Position Reports to: School Director
Start/End Date: 2021-2022 School Year
Hours: 7:30am-4:45pm + some out of school time responsibilities
As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as two-time National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 97% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a classical curriculum focused on art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employees and applicants will be treated in all respects on basis of merit and qualifications without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds to apply. At Classical, we provide comprehensive health benefits, competitive salaries, and opportunities for growth.
Art Teachers are passionate about advancing our classical mission and helping all students gain knowledge of art. Art Teachers’ primary duties are to:
- Provide instruction in a way that maximizes learning
- Maintain a highly structured and engaged classroom culture where scholars demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship
Under the supervision and direction of the School Leader, Art Teachers:
- Study, practice, and execute lessons that lead scholars to mastery of content, using our rigorous, highly vetted curriculum
- Maintain a lesson pace that ensures comprehension and maximizes students' ability to engage
- Organize materials thoughtfully, developing classroom routines to manage materials efficiently with minimal lost learning time
- Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety
- Manage student behavior in a way that promotes learning and prioritizes prevention and de-escalation
- Maintain accurate records of student information and assessment data
- Work collaboratively and professionally with other staff and actively engage in professional development sessions
- Undertake other duties as required
Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to do good and work well.
- Experience working with children
- Background in art
- Undergraduate degree by the first day of work
Successful candidates will:
- Have experience working in a charter school
- Maintain strong classroom management skills
- Hold certification in Art Education or have a degree in Art
- Have current art-making practice
- Show alignment to Classical Charter School’s mission and approach
- Exhibit excellent work ethic and organizational skills
- Demonstrate application of our core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency