As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as two-time National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 97% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a classical curriculum focused on art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employees and applicants will be treated in all respects on basis of merit and qualifications without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds to apply. At Classical, we provide comprehensive health benefits, competitive salaries, and opportunities for growth.
The Literacy Specialist is a teacher who provides targeted, school-wide, small-group literacy instruction to scholars who are at-risk of not meeting grade level literacy standards. Like all our teachers, the Literacy Specialist shares the undying belief that maximizing student achievement is the primary goal. Our teachers are committed to our mission and driven to meet key responsibilities:
- Leading all scholars to gap-closing academic gains in literacy: scholars must achieve mastery and advanced mastery of grade-level Common Core State ELA Standards to succeed to and through college
- Establishing and maintaining a highly structured & engaged classroom culture where scholars demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship
The Literacy Specialist works relentlessly to achieve these rigorous, mission-critical goals.
Successful Literacy Specialists:
- Use data-driven, small group instruction to lead scholars who are below grade level in reading to master daily standard-aligned objectives
- Revise lessons for clarity, rigor and relevance, with guidance from instructional coaches
- Collect and evaluate academic data to pinpoint scholar needs for small group instruction, typically with guided reading and phonics
- Collaborate in teams and with coaches to resolve challenges and implement instructional improvements driven by quantitative and qualitative data
- Proactively seek and implement feedback from instructional coaches to improve their practice
Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to do good and work well.
- NYS Teaching Certification OR two years of elementary literacy teaching experience
- Explicit knowledge and implementation of Fountas and Pinnell or similar system of reading levels
Successful Candidates Will:
- Have a track record of leading at-risk scholars to significant and measurable gains in literacy
- Have a strong knowledge of progress monitoring
- Show alignment to Classical Charter School’s mission and approach
- Exhibit excellent work ethic and organizational skills
- Demonstrate application of our core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency
- Have experience teaching in a high performing urban school