As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as a National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 85% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a curriculum that includes art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
All our staff members share the undying belief that maximizing student achievement is their primary goal. To achieve this goal, the School Counselor, under the supervision of the School Director, will:
- Plan and provide high quality counseling services to scholars with IEPs and at-risk scholars with a focus on supporting scholars in meeting classroom goals
- Write session notes, progress reports, and goals for scholars with mandated counseling services
- Provide teachers and staff with strategies and interventions for struggling scholars
- Create, implement, and track positive behavior intervention plans for scholars using functional behavior assessments and evidence-based practices
- Diligently work to align social, emotional, and behavioral supports with school mission
- Receive regular and ongoing feedback and support from administration and instructional leaders
- Serve on the school-based Scholar Support Team and work within a Response to Intervention model (attend weekly meetings, respond to incoming teacher referrals, monitor designated plans, implement short-term interventions, and determine scholars who are in need of an evaluation)
- Assist the Dean of Students and other staff in providing crisis support to scholars, as needed
- Collaborate with the school’s leadership team and other committees to support all scholars in achieving high standards
- Regularly communicate with parents, teachers, and other staff to provide coordinated support
- NYS certification as a School Psychologist, School Counselor, or Social Worker
- Alignment to Classical Charter Schools’ mission and approach
- A demonstrated track record of meeting the social, emotional, and behavioral needs of students in a diverse, low-income community.
- A strong knowledge of evidence-based practices, data collection, and Response to Intervention.
- Demonstrated application of Classical's core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency