A Y Combinator/Imagine K12 company, ClassDojo's long-term goal is to give every child on Earth an education they love. The ClassDojo app is the #1 communication app for micro-communities of K-8 teachers, children and families globally; they use it to stay connected, sharing what's happening through the school day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. The company is now helping kids get learning experiences they love, beyond school. Today, ClassDojo is used by 95% of pre K-8 schools in the US, as well as in a further 180 countries.
As an early Android engineer at ClassDojo, you'll lead the development of our fastest growing platform, collaborating closely with product, design, and other engineers as part of a cross-functional development team creating, incredible new experiences for our users. You’ll take responsibility for an app used by millions of students, teachers, and parents around the world every day. In addition, you’ll keep building on our world-class engineering culture, one that values rapid iteration, cross-functional collaboration, and thoughtful best practices.
- You'll shape the direction of mobile products at ClassDojo.
- You'll work across all parts of the stack to develop new features and infrastructure for ClassDojo's Android app.
- You'll create a solid architectural, technical and cultural foundation for future Android engineers.
- You'll be expected and encouraged to think beyond writing code, to help define ClassDojo's direction - this is your company to build.
- You'll work and grow as part of a cross-functional product development team. We value holistic ownership over specialization, so you'll be expected to contribute beyond just Android development.
Relevant skills / experience
- Experience with Java and the Android SDK
- Enjoy building highly responsive and fault tolerant apps
- Write robust application code for user-facing Android applications on top of RESTful APIs
- Create and maintain testing infrastructure for automated UI tests and end to end integration tests
- > 7 years of professional software experience
- Americas timezones
ClassDojo's mission is to bring communities together, and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as a communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of talented, motivated, intense and interesting people from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that is pioneering the future of education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to work with people from diverse backgrounds that truly reflect the world. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire both locally in San Francisco, and distributed teammates around the world.
If you're interested in pioneering the future of education at massive scale, we'd love to hear from you.