ClassDojo’s ultimate goal is to create an education system that gives every child on Earth an education they love. We are doing this by bringing together communities of teachers, children and families, and then helping them get learning experiences their children love. Last school year, we served over 40 million children (5% of all children in the world in pre K-8, our demographic), with a team of just 45.
As Growth Lead, you’ll be responsible for growing ClassDojo from today's tens of millions of teachers, children and families, to 100 million+ active users. So far, ClassDojo has grown 100% organically; you’ll accelerate this by rapidly experimenting with and scaling creative unpaid growth tactics to further accelerate our word-of-mouth growth. You’ll lead a small cross-functional growth team, working together at HQ in San Francisco; in the process, you'll build a global consumer education business.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Maximize the growth of our active base through unpaid growth strategies and tactics
- Develop the team’s understanding of ClassDojo's growth model
- Mentor your peers toward best-in-class growth strategies and tactics
- Contribute to our culture of high-freedom, customer-obsessed, consumer science-based cross-functional teams
As Growth Lead you'll be involved in every aspect of growth. You'll pick high-leverage strategies and tactics that help teachers, children and families share ClassDoo. You’ll turn data, research, and intuition into products, features, growth initiatives and marketing programs that people love and want.
Growth leadership: you have experience growing, optimizing, and monetizing consumer products, delivering growth-focused KPIs through non-ad acquisition strategies (communities, invitation and referral programs, etc). You've led cross-functional teams that do this.
Growth knowledge: you have a strong understanding of growth models, strategies and tactics across the whole funnel, including acquisition, activation, retention (engagement and stickiness) and virality. You’ve know what details matter at each stage, know what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage, can easily translate insights from users and data into meaningful action, and know how to lead teams to get the strategies and tactics right. You can share several shining examples of real growth work you've done, and what you learned along the way.
Product sense: you have strong consumer product sense; you empathize with users and craft experiences that delight them while also achieving business goals. You have the ability to think at different levels of resolution: at a high level about good product strategy (not just 'how it should look' but 'what we should build’), all the way down to the specifics of a tactic, and its impact on the bottom line. You are quantitative and analytical, and you know which features can act as force multipliers on the company's business model. You contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the leadership team.
Communication: You are a clear, structured communicator, whether writing or talking. You like sharing your work, even if it’s still in progress, to bring the team inside of your process. You have a sharp ambiguity filter, and are always seeking to clarify what is unclear for yourself and others.
Consumer science: You know that shipping doesn’t end after you release. You work with your teams to ensure a culture of continuous improvement, driven by qualitative and quantitative insights. You give and solicit feedback from teammates in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
Analytical skills: You have strong quantitative skills with data and statistics. You have strong quantitative skills and create and refine hypotheses by exploring user data. You’re excited to iteratively improve metrics and you can write your own SQL to monitor product progress and opportunities.
What you’ll need:
- Experience growing, optimizing, and monetizing consumer products, delivering growth-focused KPIs through unpaid acquisition strategies (for example, communities, invitation and referral programs, etc)
- Experience testing and using a wide variety of growth levers, including but also beyond product—marketing campaigns, brand, community, partnerships/sales, paid acquisition.
- Strong understanding of growth models, strategies and tactics, including
- Growth: acquisition, activation, retention (engagement and stickiness) and virality
- Revenue: funnel improvements (conversion, retention, etc), channel / distribution, new revenue product development
- 4+ years experience in growing consumer apps across platforms and geos
- Strong quantitative skills and comfort with data and statistics, creating/refining hypotheses by exploring user data
- Experience conducting user research and developing strong user understanding via many methods
- Work well in resource-constrained environments
- Structured problem-solving ability
- Good judgment and strong thought partner for head of product and founders
- Move faster than is comfortable - an instigator
- Clear, concise written and spoken communicatio
- Experience with pricing and packaging (including willingness-to-pay research)
- Experience growing consumer products internationally
- Experience at a high quality culture tech company
ClassDojo's vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our plan to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of engineers, designers, and educators from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that will transform education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to build a team with diverse backgrounds that reflect the children we serve. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire locally in San Francisco, and we also hire distributed teammates around the world.
If you're excited about having an impact in education at massive scale, we'd love to hear from you.