ClassDojo’s ultimate goal is to create an education system that gives every child on Earth an education they love. We are doing this by bringing together communities of teachers, children and families, and then helping them get learning experiences their children love. Last school year, we served over 40 million children—with a team of just 45.
As a revenue growth PM, you’ll create and monetize products reaching tens of millions of teachers, children and families, building a global consumer education business. You’ll grow ClassDojo to our next major milestone: reach 100 million+ active families, and tens of millions in revenue, while deepening our brand love.
You’ll do this by rolling up your sleeves to grow and develop our subscription products, and by exploring other revenue-generating opportunities. You’ll lead a team of engineers, researchers, product designers and other cross-functional partners, working together in San Francisco.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Maximize the monetization of our existing products and develop new experiences that support monetization, while also deepening huge brand love
- Develop the team’s shared understanding of how to monetize ClassDojo
- Mentor your product manager and design peers toward best-in-class product development and monetization
- Contribute to our culture of high-freedom, customer-obsessed, consumer science-based cross-functional product development teams
As a product manager you will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, including both discovery and delivery. You work at both a strategic and tactical level, turning data, research, and intuition into products that people want and love to use. In the process, you optimize for rapid learning by exploring divergent prototypes, testing value and viability with users to converge to simple, elegant, validated prototypes and products.
Product leadership: You’ve created and shipped products and led cross-functional teams. You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, know what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage, can easily translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and know how to lead teams to get the fit and finish right. You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, and what you learned along the way.
Product sense: You thrive best when helping to discover the right products for the team to ship, not just coordinating different functions. You have the ability to think at different levels of resolution: at a high level about good product strategy (not just 'how it should look' but 'what we should build’), all the way down to the specifics of a tactic, and its impact on the bottom line.You empathize with users to understand their needs, you are quantitative and analytical, and you synthesize information well to decide which features can act as force multipliers for the business.
Communication: You are a clear, structured communicator, whether writing or talking. You like sharing your work, even if it’s still in progress, to bring the team inside of your process. You have a sharp ambiguity filter, and are always seeking to clarify what is unclear for yourself and others.
Continuous improvement: You know that shipping doesn’t end after you release. You work with your teams to ensure a culture of continuous improvement for our products, driven by qualitative and quantitative insights. You give and solicit feedback from teammates in order to continually improve our quality bar.
Coaching: You know how to challenge and support other product personnel, coaching them to grow their skills as product leaders and improve their judgment on strategy and tactics.
Analytical skills: You are at home with data and statistics. You have strong quantitative skills and create and refine hypotheses by exploring user data. You’re excited to iteratively improve metrics and you can write your own SQL to monitor product progress and opportunities.
What you’ll need:
- Experience growing, optimizing, and monetizing consumer products (subscriptions or marketplaces)
- Strong understanding of revenue and growth models, strategies and tactics
- 5+ years experience in designing, building, and shipping quality, at-scale consumer apps across platforms
- Strong quantitative skills and comfort with data and statistics, creating/refining hypotheses by exploring user data
- Conscious or unconscious competence conducting user research and developing strong user understanding via many methods
- Thrive in resource-constrained environments
- Structured problem-solving ability
- Good judgment and strong thought partner for head of product and CEO on product and revenue strategy
- Move faster than is comfortable - an instigator
- Clear, concise written and spoken communication
- Experience as a strong coach for other product personnel
- Experience finding product-market fit with revenue products
- Experience delivering growth-focused KPIs through non-ad acquisition strategies (communities, invitation and referral programs, etc)
- Experience growing consumer products internationally
- Experience at a high quality culture tech company
ClassDojo's mission is to bring communities together, and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of engineers, designers, and educators from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that will transform education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to build a team with diverse backgrounds that reflect the children we serve. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire locally in San Francisco, and we also hire distributed teammates around the world.
If you're excited about having an impact in education at massive scale, we'd love to hear from you.