ClassDojo’s ultimate goal is to create an education system that gives every child on Earth an education they love. We are doing this by bringing together communities of teachers, children and families, and then helping them get learning experiences their children love. Last school year, we served over 40 million children—with a team of just 45.
Data is core to how ClassDojo makes decisions. As our third Data Scientist / Product Analyst, you’ll help create and monetize and analyze products reaching tens of millions of parents, teachers, and children, building a global consumer education business. You’ll grow ClassDojo to our next major milestone: reach 100 million+ active families, and tens of millions in revenue, while deepening our brand love.
As a data science team, we work closely with partners across product, engineering, design, research and marketing to develop business insights and make actionable recommendations. We're looking for high-performing generalist data scientists, with experience in product and/or business analytics, to come work alongside us to take on some of the most interesting and impactful problems in education.
You'll lead us on all aspects of business and revenue, and you’ll also be part of a high context, cross-functional team, where we value learning quickly to build a modern education system for hundreds of millions of teachers, children and families. You’ll pursue a variety of problems ranging from understanding our users, to ensuring we invest in the right growth strategies in each of the 180+ countries we operate it, to growing our community, to empowering teams to find their own answers. You'll work with colleagues across the business to uncover insights, design experiments and measure the impact, and ultimately help influence decision-making across the entire company.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with product managers, engineers, marketers, designers, and operators to define product strategy and direction
- Develop analytical frameworks to monitor business and product performance, including growth and engagement
- Develop and own the company revenue model and forecasts
- Identify opportunities for growth by designing and analyzing product experiments, working with cross-functional teams to translate insights into action
- Empower teammates with the skills and tools to make data-driven decisions.
Relevant skills / experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data science or analytics role
- 2+ years industry experience in business/revenue focused role
- Ability to write structured and efficient SQL queries on large data sets
- Experience designing AB/multivariate tests and drawing actionable conclusions
- Ability to visualize and communicate insights to stakeholders
- Experience in programming, especially with data science libraries in Python or R
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field
- Bonus: Experience with data pipelines: transforming raw production and external data into user-friendly tables.
ClassDojo's mission is to bring communities together, and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as a communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of engineers, designers, and educators from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that will transform education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to work with people from diverse backgrounds that truly reflect the world. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire both locally in San Francisco, and distributed teammates around the world.
If you're excited about having an impact in education at massive scale, we'd love to hear from you.