About the Company:
Clarifai is an artificial intelligence company that excels at visual recognition. We do not sell an abstract, futuristic technology - we sell a platform that businesses can use to solve real-world problems. We believe that the same AI technology that gives big tech companies a competitive edge should be available to developers and businesses of any size or budget. That’s why we build products to make it easy, quick, and inexpensive for developers and businesses to innovate with AI, go to market faster, and build better customer experiences. Leading companies like OpenTable, Trivago and West Elm use our technology, which is the most personalizable, unbiased, accurate solution in the market.
We have secured a $30M Series B round of funding and are backed by Menlo Ventures, Google Ventures, USV, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Osage, Lux Capital, LDV Capital, and Corazon Capital. To continue to succeed, we need people like you to join the team!
Clarifai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
As Clarifai’s VP Engineering, you are the person who leads all of our engineering layers and is responsible for designing and maintain an environment where engineers are happy, effective and can be collaborative. Our goal is to identify each layer's strengths and bring people together to build awesome artificial intelligence products to get into the hands of everyone. You will be working hand in hand with the CEO to empower our engineers to embrace our mission and execute the vision of our tech. You should be highly technical, have strong management experience, and have led teams to deliver large scale software projects.
- Implement the use of code standards, testing frameworks, code reviews, and development platforms with all engineering layers.
- Coordinate prioritization and execution of engineering output with the research and product layers, so that we can deploy new products and features on time.
- Hold regular 1-on-1 meetings with engineering layer leads, handle their performance evaluations, and help organize their team offsite meetings.
- Expand upon the collaborative engineering culture that we have built so far and actively encourage multi-functional collaboration with non-technical layers.
- Plan the expansion of engineering infrastructure as we scale. This can include coordinating the building of multi-cloud, on-premise, and edge offerings.
- Drive consistency of our API across v2 API, API clients, edge SDKs, and on-premise SDKs by synchronizing the multiple teams developing on them.
- Present engineering progress and updates during monthly board meetings and weekly executive team meetings.
- Formalize a process for crafting and publishing engineering blog content in collaboration with the marketing layer.
- Work with our financial controller and each engineering layer leads in building a realistic budget for annual team spend.
- Team up with Talent Acquisition to work on a hiring plan for growing engineering in accordance with the product roadmap. You want to not only help recruit engineers but also implement structured, skills-based interviewing standards across engineering layers.
- Tune engineering team efficiency by evaluating trajectories of sprint teams.
- Lead engineering architecture discussions to innovate on well thought out designs quickly that can be iterated on in sprints.
- Represent Clarifai in customer conversations and external speaking engagements for engineering matters.
- Masters degree is required: Computer Science or Engineering undergrad majors preferred from a top university program. (Ph.D. is a strong plus).
- 10+ years of relevant work experience.
- Startup engineering management experience is required.
- Have what it takes to break new ground and implement radical innovation.
- Track record of driving change and producing high-quality products.
- Demonstrated experience managing engineering teams of 30+ members including other managers.
- Extensive experience managing cross-functional workflows and managing technical output and performance.
- Knowledgeable and comfortable with a wide variety of technologies.
- Ability to uplift and empower the best engineers.
- Strong passion and drive for excellence and success.
- Machine Learning experience is a plus.