What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
"Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles."
What we are looking for
As a Tax & Compliance Analyst you will help manage our day-to-day business compliance and tax obligations. Key duties include managing state registrations and filings for payroll tax, sales and use tax, and business licenses, coordinating with our external tax consultants to prepare our annual corporate tax filings, and researching new state, local and federal tax requirements.
We are a lean team which allows for project ownership, collaboration, career development, and the ability to directly impact our business success. We're looking for growth-minded, analytical thinkers with creative ideas who can go beyond the numbers to find dynamic solutions to the challenges we face. If you thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment this position is for you!
- Compile and analyze data to complete supporting tax schedules for the preparation of federal, state, and local returns.
- File and maintain sales & use tax, business license registrations, and payroll tax registrations across multiple states.
- Research business licenses and other state tax requirements for new states.
- Monitor changes in tax legislation and assist in implementing applicable changes.
- Coordinate Annual Report filings and Business License renewals.
- Assist with journal entry preparation and account reconciliations for tax transactions.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analysis as needed.
- Propose and implement tax and compliance policies to support our growing team.
- 3-5 years experience working in a tax role, preferably with a SaaS product.
- Proven knowledge of federal and state tax laws, tax accounting principles, and business compliance practices.
- CPA certification and accounting software experience (Netsuite) preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (verbal, non-verbal, written), with the ability to build relationships at all levels.
- Self-motivated strategic thinker with strong organizational and project management skills.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.