What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What we're looking for
Civis Analytics is seeking a Director of Applied Data Science (ADS) to lead the Media & Insights (M&I) ADS Team, responsible for setting and executing the vision for the M&I ADS team to drive departmental growth, build knowledge of data science applications within Media, improve employee satisfaction, and broaden Civis’ success with our clients that leverage Civis’ media offerings.
The Applied Data Science Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with some of the largest publishers, advertisers, and agencies, as well as governments, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation.
Vision and Direction.
- Develop and execute a vision for the M&I ADS team in partnership with the VP, Media & Insights
- Collaborate closely with cross functional leaders to address evolving business needs and create solutions for internal Civis teams as well as our clients
Do good work.
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission.
- Partner closely with Engineering and Product leaders to oversee the development and delivery of industry leading media measurement tools
Support the team.
- Manage a team of data scientists and analysts
- Be a mentor and coach to the members of the M&I ADS team, building a culture where team members feel valued, supported and challenged with clear paths for growth.
Grow the business.
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work, identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and leveraging expertise and credibility applying data science to media use cases
- Support Business Development by leading conversations to understand prospect clients’ needs, translating those needs into Civis’ solutions, and illustrating those solutions with clear support such as case studies and client success stories.
Grow our brand.
- Serve as a brand ambassador within the Media space through Civis presence at relevant conferences, panels and other networking events or authoring thought leadership pieces
- Travel requirements <15%
- Bachelor’s degree
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience writing proposals and presenting in front of senior business leaders
- Experience managing teams to complete projects within scope and on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to engage with both business and technical collaborators
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Experience advising or working within a data science or analytics function within an advertising agency or publisher, or in support of marketing initiatives for a brand
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.).
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.