What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What we are looking for/Responsibilities
We are looking for a Data Science Manager to lead 6 - 10 data scientists across multiple teams. Data Science Managers are responsible for building an engaging team environment, recruiting talent to the team, and developing staff to their highest potential.
At Civis we build software products for teams of Data Professionals. Civis Platform, our flagship product, makes cutting-edge data science and data warehousing techniques available to a broad audience. We are looking to hire experienced data scientists and engineers to scale our team to achieve our ambitious goals. Civis Data Science Managers exhibit sound judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for fostering an inclusive, supportive, and high performance environment for your direct reports.
- 5+ years of experience as a data scientist or similar role, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 2+ years leading teams of data scientists or others in similar roles
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and data science processes, especially on high growth teams
- Exemplification of an eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Experience using Python or R to analyze data
- US work authorization
- Significant experience with any of the following:
- Machine Learning libraries (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow)
- Probabilistic programming libraries (e.g., Stan/RStan, Tensorflow Probability)
- Statistical methods for survey inference or observational causal inference
- Statistical modeling of person-level data
- Experience working with political data or government data (e.g., Census Bureau data)
- Experience building software for internal or external users
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.