What we do
Civis builds technology that brings objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes. Our diverse customer base includes USAID, City of Boston, Discovery Communications, national political campaigns, and dozens of other national and social causes.
We support our customers with a mix of technology and tech-enabled services. We empower our customers’ in-house data science teams with our SaaS data science platform (‘Civis’), and we provide tech-enabled applied data science services to help our customers’ decision-makers solve their hardest problems through their analytics journeys.
We’re a culture of smart, fun, self-starters - where everyone contributes from day one. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Civis is hiring an Director of Engineering to lead our efforts to upgrade Civis’s product user experience. In this role, you will partner with our Head of Product Design to set a long term direction and architecture for Front End development at Civis, evaluate and implement emerging technologies when appropriate, and mentor other engineers to level up their front end skillset. As a Director of Engineering, you lead our User Experience engineering team, manage 3-4 working engineers and scale the team as we grow. In order to be successful in this role, you will need to be creative, collaborative, and constantly learning along with the team.
Our Culture & Approach
- Culture of learning & experimentation
- Nimble organization
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of Software Engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related subject, or equivalent work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience mentoring other engineers in front end best practices
- Comfortable with HTML and CSS
- Comfortable with frontend frameworks such as ReactJS and Redux
- Comfortable implementing component frameworks such as Material Design
- Interest and ability to master new technologies
- Experience managing individual contributors
- Experience creating efficient front end code build and deploy processes
- Experience owning a front end design system and encouraging UX consistency across a large engineering organization
- Experience optimizing web application performance
- Experience building REST APIs using NodeJS, Ruby, or Python
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.