What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
We are currently seeking an Applied Data Science Lead to play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth within the Commercial sector. You will lead end-to-end delivery of client solutions, including initial business development, problem scoping, and delivery. You will help grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the consultancy arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. ADS Leads manage, supervise and mentor a team of Applied Data Scientists to deliver analytic solutions to our commercial clients that help inform some of their biggest decisions.
ADS Leads work closely with teams across the company, including engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales, and often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects as the face of Civis, and they help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
- Manage and lead a team of applied data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, that provides analytics and survey research consulting to achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client's strategic goals.
- Design the scope and analytics roadmap for clients. Manage a team through the process of solving some of our clients’ hardest problems; defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Fortune 500 companies or high-profile startups
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work to existing clients, identify new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in commercial data science and quantitative survey research
- Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and decision makers and is responsible for all client-facing communication and work product
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage and mentor teams of data scientists
- Some limited travel required (typically <10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, etc) or business (marketing, economics, etc.)
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. This will be demonstrated by having 5+ years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers in a client services or internal consulting / research environment
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, economics, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Experience with media science solutions and studies (media mix / optimization, attribution, etc.) a plus
- Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.