What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using evidence from data to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future.
What we are looking for
Civis collects millions of survey responses every year for message testing, brand tracking, political forecasting, and much more. As the Tech Lead for Data Science (aka Lead Data Scientist) on the Surveys Team, you will be responsible for the data science needed to turn survey data into insights. You will be responsible for developing production tools to clean, weight, and analyze survey data. You will also develop and maintain novel reference data sets for survey weighting. You will be working as part of a cross-functional team of data scientists, survey scientists, and engineers to implement data science methods as production tools that will be used by teams across Civis.
You will support our Applied Data Science team to ensure that our survey methods are effective across political, public sector, advocacy, and commercial domains.
A successful candidate will be able plan, manage, and contribute to data science projects in close collaboration with the Product Manager and others on the team. The role requires a person who can think critically about the technical and methodological implications of their work, and is enthusiastic about building tools to enable data scientists and research managers.
- Scope and plan data science projects, in collaboration with a Product Manager and others.
- Manage the work of a team of data scientists.
- Make individual technical contributions to data science projects.
- Manage the performance of and provide career guidance for direct reports.
- Provide support to internal users and act as a subject matter expert for statistical methods relevant to survey analysis.
- Validate weighting and analysis methods using known sources of truth and simulation studies
- Research and prototype novel approaches for survey weighting, forecasting, and causal inference
- Identify possible new data sources for survey weighting, and automate refreshes of existing data
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and training across the company
- Master’s or Ph.D. in a quantitative field, and 3+ years work experience in data science, statistics, or machine learning
- 1+ years leading a team or managing projects involving multiple people
- Experience working in applied statistics, machine learning, or scientific analysis
- Experience writing software tools for use by others in Python or R and willingness to work with both languages
- Experience communicating about technical topics to a non-technical audience
- US work authorization
- Academic or industry research experience experience in at least one of the following: working with survey data (e.g., survey weighting), causal inference, machine learning engineering (e.g., developing and maintaining models in production) or data engineering
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401(k) match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.