What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
What we are looking for
Civis Analytics is looking for a highly motivated attorney to join our legal team and manage our pipeline of wide-ranging agreements. As Commercial Counsel at Civis, you will tackle complex legal issues at the intersection of technology and data science. This position reports to our General Counsel.
Civis is growing fast and is rapidly accepting new work. Your primary responsibility will be to manage this contract pipeline and all contracting issues. This will include contracts involving technology (SaaS/PaaS) and data licensing, consulting, vendors, partnerships, non-disclosures, and a whole lot of stuff in between. You must be able to balance the needs of a fast-growing tech business with the legal and compliance risks presented in these agreements.
You will also assist in tackling an exciting array of business and legal issues that come up on a daily basis. The ideal candidate is someone who is resourceful, has strong business judgment and instincts, has been in-house at a tech company, and has experience providing nuanced and practical advice to business colleagues and management.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate the agreements that underpin the work we do
- Respond promptly to contracting requests from internal clients
- Research issues on privacy, cybersecurity, numerous areas of compliance, and various U.S. and international laws and apply that knowledge to our contracting
- Explore opportunities to create efficiencies in our sales and contracting processes and to improve the experience of prospective clients when working with Civis
- Act as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Civis' overall business objectives.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 3+ years of substantive technology contracting experience
- Sound understanding of cloud computing and cloud architecture
- Familiarity with federal, state, and international privacy and data protection laws
- Positive, collaborative attitude
- Sharp business judgment and instincts, with an ability to advise on and structure business terms in contracts, anticipate short and long-term impacts of deal terms on Civis’s business and operations, and balance risk versus business needs while getting deals done
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Proven ability to multitask, juggle competing priorities, and work well under deadline pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with federal, state, or municipal government contracting, including RFP responses and working with internal government proposal teams
- Experience with data analytics services and products
- In-house experience at a fast-growing B2B PaaS, SaaS, or analytics company
- Understanding of the legal, security, privacy, and operational issues of cloud computing, data, and machine learning
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.