What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
What we are looking for
Civis collects millions of survey responses every year for message testing, brand tracking, political forecasting, and much more. As a Data Scientist on the Surveys Team, you will be responsible for the data science needed to turn survey data into insights. You will be responsible for developing production tools to clean, weight, and analyze survey data. You will also develop and maintain novel reference data sets for survey weighting. You will be working as part of a cross-functional team of data scientists and engineers to implement data science methods as production tools that will be used by teams across Civis.
You will support our Applied Data Science team to ensure that our survey methods are effective across political, public sector, advocacy, and commercial domains.
A successful candidate will be able to work independently and in close collaboration with other data scientists and engineers. The role requires a person who can think critically about the technical and methodological implications of their work, and is enthusiastic about building tools to enable data scientists and research managers.
- Develop and maintain survey infrastructure in a cross-functional team of data scientists and engineers
- Productionize novel and off the shelf data science models using Civis Platform
- Provide support to internal users and act as a subject matter expert in statistical methods relevant to survey analysis
- Validate our weighting and analysis methods using known sources of truth and simulation studies
- Research and prototype novel approaches for survey weighting, forecasting, and causal inference
- Identify possible new data sources for survey weighting, and automate refreshes of existing data
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and training across the company
- Master’s or Ph.D. in a quantitative field, and 1+ years work experience in data science, statistics, or machine learning
- Experience working in applied statistics, machine learning, or scientific analysis
- Experience writing software tools for use by others in Python or R and willingness to work with both languages
- Experience communicating about technical topics to a non-technical audience
- US work authorization
- Academic or industry research experience in at least one of the following: working with survey data (e.g., survey weighting), causal inference, machine learning engineering (e.g., developing and maintaining models in production) or data engineering
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.