What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future.
What we are looking for/Responsibilities
We are looking for a Software Engineering Tech Lead, a.k.a. Engineering Manager, who will be a working engineer that leads and manages a single team of 3 - 5 engineers. Tech Leads are responsible for building an engaging team environment, providing technical mentorship, and developing staff to their highest potential.
At Civis we build software products for teams of Data Professionals. Civis Platform, our flagship product, makes cutting-edge machine learning and data warehousing techniques available to a broad audience Civis Tech Leads exhibit sound judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making important decisions about technology, architecture, priorities and project staging. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, data engineer, or similar role, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 1+ years leading teams of engineers
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and engineering processes, especially on high growth teams
- Experience building complex web applications with modern languages and frameworks (e.g., React)
- Love of problem-solving and a demonstrable ability to self-start
- Exemplification of an eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- US work authorization
- Significant experience with any of the following:
- Leading technical teams
- Project management and/or UI/UX design
- Database design and optimization
- Automated software testing and Continuous Integration
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Apache Spark/PySpark
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.