What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
What We’re Looking For
Civis is hiring a Managing Director to design, implement and lead its business development and delivery for our growing public sector practice. This leader will be a member of the executive team, and will manage the end to end customer relationship with all public sector accounts. This person will manage and grow Civis’s 35-person public sector team - a cross-functional mix of engineers, data scientists, project managers, and other critical roles.
This role represents a ground-up opportunity to have a deep impact on the success of the business as we continue to expand our technology offerings and scale of work. In turn, it requires a hands-on approach and the ability to think strategically about the future of government analytics and execute in a fast-moving startup environment.
The Managing Director, Public Sector will understand how to build Civis’ strategy to help federal, state and local governments adopt a data, analytics and technology-first approach for the 21st century. They’ll work collaboratively with existing and new customers, partner with outside organizations to raise the awareness of Civis to gain buy-in of what is necessary to operate in the sector and, most importantly, deliver on the promise of supporting government agencies to leverage data and technology to make a bigger impact on the world.
This person will be awarded considerable autonomy to define their priorities based on the state and needs of the business, but there will be a set of core responsibilities:
- Business Development Strategy and Execution: Define and execute our business development strategy for both Federal as well as State and Local government buyers. You will be expected to develop relationships with key stakeholders, coach the Business Development team, and build partnerships to get deals closed. We’re a 200-person company competing with some of the biggest names out there, but we’re agile, our team is smart, and we have great emerging technology for governments.
- Customer Delivery and Upsell Strategy and Execution: Build upon Civis’ customer-first legacy of supporting federal, state and local governments with their constituent outreach and program optimization challenges. Most governments, here and abroad, are new to data science, and we need to provide the right mix and technical enablement and services guidance to make them successful.
- Team Leadership and Team Building: Build an inclusive and equitable culture in which team members feel valued and are rewarded, retained and developed in their roles and career paths.
- Cross Functional Facilitation: Work across all functions within Civis to ensure public sectors sales and delivery is not only serving the needs of the customers we have today, but that we are building for the future of the market.
- P&L Management: The ability to manage your vertical within a budget and expected profit margin.
- Public voice: Represent Civis’s government work in public sessions, conferences, the media and more.
- Product advocate: Serve as our Public Sector business’s unified, internal advocate for how we can continue to improve our products to service public sector customer needs.
Ultimately, success in this role will be measured by Civis’s ability to meet its growth goals while fulfilling the mission to its customers. Commensurate with the company’s endless pursuit of that mission, detailed measurement and data capture must be native to the way we run each of our verticals.
Required experience and competencies:
The Managing Director, Public Sector will come with a strong background in software and implementation services sales and delivery in federal, state, or local government. Civis began as a consulting business, but we’re already providing our data science technology to some of our largest cities and federal agencies, and we’re looking for leadership to help us accelerate this transition.
Important experience includes:
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience selling software and services to government clients
- Experience working in public sector analytics or data science, or experience working in public sector analytics or data science, or in a software or consulting firm that serves these clients
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers
- Experience managing a P&L
- US work authorization
- Advanced degree in a relevant subject (e.g. statistics, economics, business, public policy, etc.)
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc.)
- 7-10 years in data science, consulting, data, nonprofit or related fields
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.