What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
About our team
The Finance, Accounting, and Revenue Operations team (affectionately called Team Money), is a part of the larger Operations team at Civis. The Operations team also includes our People Operations and Legal teams. As an Operations team, our core values include respect, humanity, ownership, and humility. We strive to bring these values to work every day, with the aim of making Civis a great place to work for everyone.
What we are looking for
As a member of our accounting team you will help drive our day-to-day accounting, financial, and reporting processes. Key duties include leading the monthly close process, overseeing AR and AP processes, managing annual audits, and managing staff accountants. We are a lean team which allows for a lot of project ownership, collaboration, and the ability to impact the business. We're looking for analytical thinkers with creative ideas who can go beyond the numbers and think critically about the business.
- Manage month-end close, reconciliation, and reporting processes
- Manage and mentor a small team of accountants
- Research technical accounting issues, including the implementation of new standards and internal policies
- Lead the annual audit process
- Oversee day to day accounting operations, including bookkeeping and AR/AP processes
- Maintain accounting processes and policies, while working to continually improve and streamline our procedures
- Support ad hoc requests from our finance team
- 8+ years of experience working in an accounting role, preferably with a SaaS product
- 2+ years leading a small team
- CPA certification required
- Proven knowledge of accounting principles, practices, standards, laws, and regulations, including experience with revenue recognition under ASC 606
- Experience in Netsuite is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft or Google Suite, especially with spreadsheets
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships at all levels
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.