What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a DevOps Tech Lead, a.k.a. Engineering Manager, who will be a working engineer that leads and manages a single team of 3 - 5 engineers. This team will be focused on scaling and securing the foundational AWS infrastructure of the company’s software products.
Civis’ flagship product is Civis Platform, making cutting-edge machine learning and data warehousing techniques available to a broad audience. The DevOps team delivers, maintains, and evolves the infrastructure that makes all of this possible. Our Tech Leads exhibit excellent judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making important decisions about technology, architecture, priorities and project staging. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products. As part of the tech leadership team you will collaborate with your peers to set department direction, inspire the team and build great products.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software or DevOps Engineer
- 1+ years leading teams of DevOps engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related subject, or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with either AWS or GCP services such as compute, databases, VPCs, networking, permissioning and storage
- Experience with automation tools and configuration-as-code (CloudFormation, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, etc.)
- Comfortable with Python and Bash
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery services
- Experience with containerized code deployment
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols
- Experience scaling teams of DevOps engineers through periods of product growth
- Experience managing large cloud infrastructures
- Experience with orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes or Mesos
- Experience with security, systems, or application monitoring and metrics
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.