What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, building a resource optimization solution for a healthcare provider network, or shaping the product and engagement strategy for a large Fortune 500 company? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial Applied Data Science practice and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing businesses today.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. Due to our growth, we have a new role in our public sector practice, which provides data science solutions for Federal, as well as state and local clients.
- Serve as the technical lead running the end-to-end execution of new client engagements and proof of concepts utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical analysis, modeling techniques, and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets, and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- Other job responsibilities of a Senior ADS include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting ADS Managers in new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Travel requirements: < 5%
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 5+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- 2+ years experience working in a consulting or advisory function
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- SQL experience a plus
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Experience directly support business development effortsExcellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfort working in an ambiguous environment with the ability to bring a structured approach and clearly prioritize work
- US work authorization
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.) Competencies
- Understanding of basic marketing concepts and/or past experience in marketing analytics or agency experience
- Experience in designing and analyzing in-market survey research
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.