What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
What we are looking for
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, building a resource optimization solution for a healthcare provider network, or shaping the product and engagement strategy for a large Fortune 500 company? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial Applied Data Science practice and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing businesses today.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. Due to our growth, we have a new role in our commercial practice, which provides data science solutions for our private sector clients.
- Serve as the technical lead running the end-to-end execution of new client engagements and proof of concepts utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical analysis, modeling techniques, and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets, and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- Other job responsibilities of a Senior ADS include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting ADS Managers in new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Travel requirements: < 5%
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 5+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- 2+ years experience working in a consulting or advisory function
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- SQL experience a plus
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Experience directly support business development efforts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfort working in an ambiguous environment with the ability to bring a structured approach and clearly prioritize work
- US work authorization
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Understanding of basic marketing concepts and/or past experience in marketing analytics or agency experience
- Experience in designing and analyzing in-market survey research
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.