What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
We are currently seeking an Applied Data Science Lead to play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth within the Commercial sector. You will work closely with our sales team to support BD, delivery initial POCS, and identify additional opportunities for partnership. . You will help grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the consultancy arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. ADS Leads manage, supervise and mentor a team of Applied Data Scientists to deliver analytic solutions to our commercial clients that help inform some of their biggest decisions.
ADS Leads work closely with teams across the company, including engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales, and often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects as the face of Civis, and they help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to relocating to our Chicago office in the future.
- Manage and lead a team of applied data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, that provides analytics and survey research consulting to achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client's strategic goals.
- Design the scope and analytics proof of concepts for clients, while helping set the vision for continued partnership
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Fortune 500 companies or high-profile startups
- Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and decision makers and is responsible for all client-facing communication and work product
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage and mentor teams of data scientists
- Some limited travel required (typically <10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, etc) or business (marketing, economics, etc.)
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. This will be demonstrated by having 5+ years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python,, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to translate technical concepts to a variety of stakeholders including executive audiences
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers in a client services or internal consulting / research environment
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Knowledge of consumer marketing concepts including: segmentation, MROI, and campaign effectiveness
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, economics, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Experience with survey questionnaire design and other research deliverables and studies (customer segmentation, brand health tracking, marketing evaluation experience, etc.) a plus
- Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.