What we do
Civis builds technology that brings objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes. Our diverse customer base includes USAID, Verizon, Discovery Communications, Biden for America, and dozens of other national and social causes.
We support our customers with a mix of technology and tech-enabled services. We empower our customers’ in-house data science teams with our SaaS data science platform (‘Civis’), and we provide tech-enabled applied data science services to help our customers’ decision-makers solve their hardest problems through their analytics journeys.
We’re a culture of smart, fun, self-starters - where everyone contributes from day one. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
Civis is hiring a Vice President of Marketing to design, implement and lead its go-to-market, brand positioning, sales partnerships, and user community creation. This leader will be a member of the executive team, and will manage a horizontal function to support each of our four business verticals: consumer, government, nonprofit, and political analytics.
This role represents a ground-up opportunity to have a deep impact on the success of the business. In turn, it requires a hands-on approach and the ability to both think big-picture as well execute in a fast-paced environment.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
This person will be awarded considerable autonomy to define their priorities based on the state and needs of the business, but there will be a set of core responsibilities:
- Product positioning: Define and position our two product lines - the Civis platform and our survey applications - broadly and in our target sectors.
- Sales enablement: Build and maintain a thoughtful, updating library of marketing materials (product marketing collateral, public case studies, etc.) to support our sales and branding efforts.
- Digital Content: We need creative thinking, clear processes, and a lot of teamwork to capture and present our stories online. This person will manage and develop Civis’ digital content and marketing, which would include:
- Managing civisanalytics.com and the Civis’ Data Science and Technology blog,
- Developing digital training assets our users can access online,
- Designing outbound sales and advertising assets supporting business development activities
- Go-to-market strategy, execution, and measurement: Work with our product, business development, and sector teams to tailor our messaging, targeting, and marketing activities broadly and within sectors. This person will manage our digital, email and trade campaigns in partnership with sector sales leaders. They will also be responsible for providing a success measurement system.
- User community: Create a lightweight community for Civis nonprofit and government users to share their case examples and code with each other, and share feedback to Civis.
- Sales partnerships: Select and manage a small set of sales partnerships. Civis has several existing partnerships, but we’re looking for this person’s leadership to evaluate additional strategic partnerships.
- Public Relations / Communication: Work with our Head of Communications on an earned media strategy that highlights Civis, its people and its products in national and trade publications.
Ultimately, success in this role will be measured by the Civis’ ability to meet its growth goals while fulfilling the mission to its customers. Commensurate with the company’s endless pursuit of that mission, detailed measurement and data capture must be native to every strategy, campaign and channel in order to know what’s working, and what’s not.
Preferred experience and competencies
The Vice President of Marketing will come with experience leading the creation and execution of a multi-channel, B2B enterprise marketing strategy from conception through implementation and on to sustained and rapid growth stages. S/he will have a track record of success within a rapidly growing technology company where resources are small but impact is big. S/he will have recruited, led and developed a talented, diverse and best-in-class team of marketers. Other expected experience competencies include:
- Previous marketing leadership experience with a complex, highly technical enterprise product offering
- Experience in positioning a hybrid of technical and service offerings
- Excellent technical as well as creative writing skills
- Impeccable communication and leadership ability, both with internal and external audiences
- Experience with automated, direct marketing tools and technology
- Experience managing digital campaigns
- Experience developing and distributing digital content
- Experience in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Native quantitative and analytical abilities
- Track record of working collaboratively, as well as autonomously, across multiple business functions
- Sales lead management and reporting
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.