What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
We are currently seeking an Applied Data Science Lead to play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth within the Commercial sector. You will lead end-to-end delivery of client solutions, including initial business development, problem scoping, and delivery. You will help grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the consultancy arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. ADS Leads manage, supervise and mentor a team of Applied Data Scientists to deliver analytic solutions to our commercial clients that help inform some of their biggest decisions.
ADS Leads work closely with teams across the company, including engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales, and often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects as the face of Civis, and they help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to relocating to our Chicago office in the future.
- Manage and lead a team of applied data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, that provides analytics and survey research consulting to achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client's strategic goals.
- Design the scope and analytics roadmap for clients. Manage a team through the process of solving some of our clients’ hardest problems; defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Fortune 500 companies or high-profile startups
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work to existing clients, identify new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in commercial data science and quantitative survey research
- Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and decision makers and is responsible for all client-facing communication and work product
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage and mentor teams of data scientists
- Some limited travel required (typically <10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, etc) or business (marketing, economics, etc.)
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. This will be demonstrated by having 5+ years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers in a client services or internal consulting / research environment
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (e.g. statistics, math, social science, economics, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Experience with survey questionnaire design and other research deliverables and studies (customer segmentation, brand health tracking, marketing evaluation experience, etc.) a plus
- Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.