What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation. This position will be part of the ADS Public Sector team, which most commonly works with state and local governments, federal agencies, and public utilities.
As a Senior Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, define our methodological approach, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, and be responsible for project milestones and presentations. You will also be a mentor to other data scientists, potentially managing newer hires, contributing to internal assets, and fostering learning and collaboration. You will work closely with our Applied Data Science Leads and our Managing Director to develop relationships, partnerships, and proposals for new governmental work, and may take responsibility for entire projects or accounts as you grow in your role.
**This is a temporary, full-time, salaried position with benefits slated to end Dec. 31, 2020. There is a possibility of extension if the business requires it.**
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to relocating to one of our offices in the future, but other locations may be negotiable.
- Work with colleagues to scope out and define our approach to complex client problems
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Work with other Applied Data Scientists, as well as other departments within Civis, to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to create deliverables such as data assets, pipelines, dashboards, and presentations that are client-ready, clear, and error-free
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to develop business opportunities, proposals, and pitches for new work throughout the public sector market
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, sociology, psychology, physics, etc.) or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years of related work experience
- Proven business results using both SQL as well as either R or Python
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience with persuasive writing and presentation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- MA or MS in an analytical subject
- Experience leading projects, including managing the work of colleagues
- Proven affinity for and experience mentoring teammates
- Experience with analytics for the public sector or for utilities
- Experience with collaborative coding tools including Docker and Github
- Significant experience fielding and analyzing web panel surveys
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.