What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation. This position will be part of the ADS Public Sector team and focus on our global health engagements.
As a Senior Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, define our methodological approach, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, and be responsible for project milestones and presentations. You will also be a mentor to other data scientists, potentially managing newer hires, contributing to internal assets, and fostering learning and collaboration. You will work closely with our Applied Data Science Leads and our Managing Director to develop relationships, partnerships, and proposals for new governmental work, and may take responsibility for entire projects or accounts as you grow in your role.
- A Senior ADS runs the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical analysis, modeling techniques, and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists, data engineers, and data analysts where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- For this role, Senior ADS responsibilities include:
- Serving as an advisor on global health policy and data
- Leading data quality and improvement efforts
- Supporting in-country users with capacity building and training
- Conducting user interviews and curating a backlog of potential data products and technical solutions
- Other job responsibilities of a Senior ADS include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting ADS Managers in new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Travel requirement: 40 - 60%
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, biostatistics, epidemiology, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 5+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- Subject matter knowledge and work experience in global health
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Familiarity with modeling techniques, including predictive analytics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- US work authorization
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa
- Domain knowledge in vector-borne diseases
- Proficiency in French or Portuguese
- Experience working in a consulting or advisory function
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.