What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation. This position will be part of the ADS Public Sector team, which most commonly works with state and local governments, federal agencies, and public utilities.
As a Senior Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, define our methodological approach, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, and be responsible for project milestones and presentations. You will also be a mentor to other data scientists, potentially managing newer hires, contributing to internal assets, and fostering learning and collaboration. You will work closely with our Applied Data Science Leads and our Managing Director to develop relationships, partnerships, and proposals for new governmental work, and may take responsibility for entire projects or accounts as you grow in your role.
- Work with colleagues to scope out and define our approach to complex client problems
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Work with other Applied Data Scientists, as well as other departments within Civis, to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to create deliverables such as data assets, pipelines, dashboards, and presentations that are client-ready, clear, and error-free
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to develop business opportunities, proposals, and pitches for new work throughout the public sector market
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, sociology, psychology, physics, etc.) or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years of related work experience
- Proven business results using both SQL as well as either R or Python
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience with persuasive writing and presentation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- MA or MS in an analytical subject
- Experience leading projects, including managing the work of colleagues
- Proven affinity for and experience mentoring teammates
- Experience with analytics for the public sector or for utilities
- Experience with collaborative coding tools including Docker and Github
- Significant experience fielding and analyzing web panel surveys
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.