What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Data Scientists in the Tech department at Civis develop the fundamental data science methods that power Civis products and work collaboratively with software engineers to put those methods into practice. Our diverse work includes predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design, and survey research.
As an intern on our Chicago-based team, you will work with other Data Scientists on projects that make real contributions to our products. We will help you grow your skills by pairing you with a data scientist mentor from our team. Past interns have worked on a variety of projects, including the following:
- Applications of neural network autoencoders on large, sparse datasets from social media, television viewership, and medical diagnostics
- MCMC code development and Bayesian statistical modeling of time series data from surveys
- Development of production code for resource optimization
- Graph-based clustering for record linkage and deduplication
- Using a large-scale proprietary survey dataset, along with methodology from observational causal inference and survival analysis, to measure the effectiveness of political ads
- At least a Junior (i.e., third year) standing in an undergraduate degree program in statistics, computer science, economics, physics or other quantitative field
- Experience using applied statistics, optimization, or machine learning
- Proficiency with Python or R
- Experience working with imperfect data
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to a non-expert audience
- Masters or PhD student in statistics, computer science, economics, applied mathematics, physics, quantitative social science, or other quantitative field
- Specialization in a particular area of statistics or machine learning (e.g., survey science, causal inference, neural networks, Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods, network analysis, natural language processing, optimization)
- Experience or interest in software development and engineering, especially building or maintaining application software that is used by others
Who we are
At Civis, our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
- A competitive hourly rate with an additional moving stipend
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.