What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science.
The nonprofit ADS team in DC works with a diverse array of organizations — from direct service organizations like the American Red Cross, to foundations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and progressive advocacy groups. You can read about some of our recent work to combat poverty in New York City with the Robin Hood Foundation and to engage new arts audiences with the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
As an Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects. This role reports to an Applied Data Science Lead.
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Maintain a continuous and independent education on statistical techniques and programming languages
- Develop and adhere to a quality control process
- Work with Applied Data Scientist Leads to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Scientist Leads to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and correct
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Proven affinity for and experience with working with large data sets
- Proven affinity for and experience with programming languages such as SQL, R, Python, etc.
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau, Shiny, and MS PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- Past work experience with political or survey data
- Past experience working on or with a political campaign
- Proficiency with Bayesian modeling languages, including STAN (preferred), pymc3, or TensorflowProbability
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.