What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Civis Analytics is looking for Applied Data Science interns to join our ADS practice in Chicago or DC and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing organizations today.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation.
This opportunity is for 2021 graduates only. Our summer internships are a full-time, 10-week commitment with two start dates to accommodate both semester and quarter students.
- 2021 graduates pursuing an undergraduate degree in social science, mathematics, statistics or a similarly analytical subject
- A demonstrated history of using data in research or applied settings to solve complex problems or make strategic decisions
- Experience identifying, working with, and adapting to imperfect data
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Experience with statistical packages (R, Python, etc) and statistical concepts
- Ability to communicate complex analysis to differently technical audiences through strong written and oral communication skills
- Resourceful - not easily deterred by setbacks
- Experience with data cleaning, wrangling
- Proven track record of working with ambiguous problems
- Experience or expertise with SQL
- Experience putting together and giving client-ready presentations
Who we are
At Civis, our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
- A competitive hourly rate with an additional moving stipend
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.