What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Software Engineers are responsible for building the backbone of Civis Analytics: the processing, automation, tooling and front-end features for our cutting-edge data science platform. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will join our Chicago or DC-based technology teams, working collaboratively with other builders -- Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, and Data Scientists -- on rapidly evolving products.
You'll get to experience the pace and opportunity of a startup while receiving excellent mentorship in full-stack web development. Our interns take on real projects and regularly ship software to our production SaaS application throughout the summer. If you are a college student who thrives on working on everything from idea to execution, we want to talk to you.
This opportunity is for 2021 graduates only. Our summer internships are a full-time, 10-week commitment with two start dates to accommodate both semester and quarter students.
- Completing undergraduate degree program in Computer Science, or a related subject
- Working familiarity with SQL databases
- Working familiarity with Python, Ruby or similar language
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Web frameworks such as Rails or Flask
- RESTful API design
- Go (golang)
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Using and administering Amazon Web Services (AWS) products
- Political technology and data
- Knowledge of machine learning
- A previous software development internship
Who we are
At Civis, our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
- A competitive hourly rate with an additional moving stipend
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.