What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Civis Analytics is looking for a Data Scientist to join its Chicago-based political team. This team will build the next generation of data science for Democratic and progressive organizations.
Civis’ objective this year and next is simple: we want every political client organization to be data-driven and digital first. Here’s how you’d help:
First, the Civis platform is the technology of record for hundreds of in-house data scientists and analysts across the progressive movement. We seek to extend the feature set and capabilities to help these users quickly and self-reliantly accomplish their missions through data.
Second, Civis is building new digital technologies to help campaigns make the transition to digital outreach. It’s 2019 after all. We’re building the measurement, execution, and attribution tools to help these campaigns measure, target, and spend their dollars effectively and transparently through digital tools.
About the role
The political team at Civis group is seeking a Political Data Scientist to join our growing data electoral science team in Chicago. We are a team of Applied Data Scientists, survey scientists, and campaign veterans building new and innovative tools to help support progressive candidates. If you’re looking for a way to have a big impact on the 2020 election, this is it.
As a Political Data Scientist, your day-to-day work will involve building models using polling and electoral data, setting up production-level pipelines to automate workflows in Civis Platform, and helping communicate the results of analyses to our client-facing teams. This role reports to a Senior Data Scientist on the political team.
- Interest in joining a fast-paced political analytics team and working cross-functionally on different data-science projects
- Proficiency with computational statistics, machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, STAN)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Resourceful - not easily deterred by setbacks
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- US work authorization required
- Past work experience with political or survey data
- Fluency in python is preferred, especially an understanding of ipython and jupyter notebooks.
- R skills, especially comfort with the tidyverse approach to data munging, are a plus
- Experience working with production-level software pipelines and using tools like python’s joblib module or other parallelization tools and workflow logic like YAML
- Familiarity with SQL, including writing efficient queries and tables and data operations (joins, window functions, etc.)
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Proficiency with Bayesian modeling languages, including STAN (preferred), pymc3, or TensorflowProbability
- Interested in mentoring others on a growing team
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.