What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Science Lead to join its DC-based political team. This team will build the next generation of data science for Democratic and progressive organizations, and the Applied Data Science Lead will play a principal role on the team. Civis’ objective this year and next is simple: we want every political client organization to be data-driven and digital first. Here’s how you’d help:
First, the Civis platform is the technology of record for hundreds of in-house data scientists and analysts across the progressive movement. We seek to extend the feature set and capabilities to help these users quickly and self-reliantly accomplish their missions through data. Second, Civis is building new digital technologies to help campaigns make the transition to digital outreach. It’s 2019 after all. We’re building the measurement, execution, and attribution tools to help these campaigns measure, target, and spend their dollars effectively and transparently through digital tools. Below are more details, and the application. Even if you want to just hear more, let us know by emailing email@example.com and we’ll quickly get on the phone with you to discuss more.
ADS Leads manage, supervise, and mentor a team of Data Scientists to deliver solutions and strategic guidance to progressive organizations. ADS Leads work closely with teams across the company, including social science, engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales. Often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead projects from scoping to delivery, work directly with clients to communicate guidance and implement solutions, and identify new opportunities in political analytics. ADS Leads are the public face of Civis.
While this is a politically-focused role, individuals have succeeded in this role with a range of backgrounds outside of direct campaign experience, including consulting experience in a non-political role. Members of our team have educational backgrounds in physics, political science, philosophy, and more.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under time restrictions
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- Experience managing teams to complete projects within scope and on time
- Able to communicate effectively about statistics, survey research, and/or predictive modeling, in addition to providing leadership and support to junior staff
- Calm demeanor and eagerness to work in a cross-functional environment where methodology and client needs shift over time
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject or equivalent experience with data and analytics, which can include skills developed in a past job, on a political campaign, or through self-driven learning
- US work authorization required
- Expertise with statistical packages (R, Python, etc) and/or SQL
- Experience managing a team of technical staff
- A cycle or more of electoral campaign experience, preferably in data or analytics
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Experience working with a diverse team, fostering an inclusive workplace, and bringing a sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to high-level or executive audiences
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
Compensation for this role ranges from $115,000 - $145,000 based on experience.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.