What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis is looking for a Database Administrator to join our team!
As a Database Administrator, you will be responsible for improving how Civis manages and supports Redshift, our product’s primary data warehouse, as well as with other database technologies. You will serve as a subject matter expert in all things database and work on initiatives across multiple departments to implement best practices and improve the user experience of our clients.
- Work with our Client Success organization to develop tools that automate database administration and instill best practices.
- Help our Client Success organization troubleshoot and respond to database related support requests from our clients.
- Consult with various teams to tune SQL queries.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for database security best practices, partnering with our Cybersecurity team.
- Work with Systems and Data Engineering teams to optimize our database infrastructure.
- Consult with engineering teams on how to optimize the use of Redshift and other databases in our software.
- Stay up-to-date with database releases and notify Client Success and Engineering teams of changes that could impact the stability of our products.
- 2-3 years’ experience working with and administering distributed databases
- Comfortable navigating the database system catalog
- Comfortable working with cloud hosted infrastructure
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with peers, across teams, and with management
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to both non-technical business users as well as client technical stakeholders
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- 2-3 years’ working with and administering Redshift
- Database permission management and best practices
- Optimizing database workload management
- Tuning SQL queries via both SQL tuning and optimizing schema design
- Working with both very wide (1,000+ columns) and large (500+ GB) data sets
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.