What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
We are looking for Tech Leads aka Engineering Managers at Civis who will be working engineers that lead and manage a single team of 3 - 5 engineers. They are expected to enter with, and maintain, a senior level of technical aptitude. Engineering Managers typically are hands-on keyboard about 70% of their week on average and report into a Senior Engineering Manager.
Our Tech Leads exhibit excellent judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making important decisions about technology, architecture, priorities and project staging. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products. As part of the tech leadership team you will collaborate with your peers to set department direction, inspire the team and build great products.
What's great about engineering at Civis? We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we run our team to reinforce those values.
- Develop high-quality software
- Support and mentor other engineers throughout the organization
- Solve complex technical and strategic problems
- Effectively apply Civis best practices methodology and enforces design standards, extending them where needed
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and archived appropriately
- Ability to research, prototype and recommend software solutions
- Collaborate with other teams, leaders, and clients
- Engage the project on an emotional level as well as technical
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 1+ years leading teams of engineers
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and engineering processes, especially on high growth teams
- Experience building complex web applications with modern languages and frameworks
- Love of problem-solving and a demonstrable ability to self-start
- Exemplification of an eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
- Significant experience with any of the following:
- Developing large web applications or web services
- Leading technical teams
- Experience with project management and/or UI/UX design
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Designing and building APIs
- Containerization using Docker
- Container orchestration using Kubernetes or similar
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.