What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the role
As VP of Sales, you will be responsible for acquiring new customers for our data science software and complementary data science services.
Here is exactly what we need this person to do:
- Build an outbound customer acquisition program in partnership with our head of marketing. We expect this to be a balance of building relationships with key stakeholders and heavily data-driven, and we’d provide this person assistance from our in-house data scientists
- Create a nimble approach to selling complex technical solutions to technical and business audiences
- Architect a metrics-driven, scalable, efficient sales process through all opportunity phases- from prospecting to qualifying to problem identification to solution proposal to close
- Direct and support the Sales team and executive leadership in sourcing and completing strategic, enterprise and solutions sales
- Build a results-driven team of resourceful sales professionals including a development path for sellers to grow their book of business and become successful sales leaders
- Sell through teaching and ‘team-sport’ sales that involve different Civis members to satisfy the domain and subject matter needs of the customer
We expect this person to ‘self-start’ on upfront customer teaching, territory development, sector targeting, etc. We want this person to do the research, work with the team and tell us what to do based on the data, and not the other way around.
Your responsibilities will cut across all departments at Civis Analytics. You must be able to work well with others who approach problems from different perspectives, but you will be expected to challenge and improve the way we operate as we mature. This role will be based in our Chicago headquarters.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, marketing, computer science, or a related subject, or equivalent work experience
- 12+ years of sales experience, of which 5+ are C-level relationship sales for a technology company
- Experience leading 10-20 employees or other large sales teams
- Hands-on analytics, data science and/or software engineering experience.
- Demonstrated ability to hire and retain sales and business development stars and rising stars
- Guide and mentor cross-functional personnel to directly support sales efforts
- Institute best practices and standard operating procedures for an account based sales operating model
- Proven track record of leading and driving successful sales strategies and meeting or exceeding targets
- Robust knowledge of the software and data industries, including demonstrated ability to synthesize landscape context into a successful value proposition for Civis
- Startup mentality - lean, agile, resourceful
- Prospect and navigate conversations with large complex companies as well as smaller straight forward organizations- the ability to flex sales strategies to both identities
- Identifying the stakeholders and decision-makers of an organization and moving them to close
- Outstanding communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation)
- Willingness to travel as needed to get contracts across the line
- US work authorization
- Successful entrepreneurial experience is a big plus
- Advanced degree in business or technology
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.