What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
About the role
Data engineers at Civis are responsible for designing and implementing processes that turn raw data into useful information. We do this through reusable, automated solutions that incorporate data-engineering best practices. As a data engineer, you will join the Chicago-based team, working closely and collaboratively with data scientists and engineers on high-priority client engagements.
Through these engagements, you will identify needs across products and clients, and spend time between engagements on improving our tools and frameworks. You will be responsible for choosing the right libraries and tools, and collaborate with other engineers through code reviews and design meetings. Ultimately, the tools you build will be published in the Civis Platform and reused in a self-serve way by clients and internal data scientists.
- Work on and learn from high-priority client engagements.
- Develop reusable connectors in Python for pulling in data from varied APIs and databases.
- Continuously improve our framework for reusable connectors. Define and implement best practices for monitoring, logging, documentation, change management, etc., in collaboration with our Data Engineering Leads.
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure that your work has high impact for the business.
- Write code and tests that ensure quality.
- Document your work and train others on using it.
- Serve as a technical resource in resolving software and data issues.
- Work closely with client-facing teams.
- Develop your technical skills by adopting best practices from our Engineering Team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering field, or commensurate work experience
- Experience developing successful software solutions to difficult problems
- Expertise with SQL databases
- Experience identifying data quality and developing automated QC checks and/or reports
- Experience in Python
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Familiarity with source control (git preferred).
- Ability to operate with cross-functional teams (for example, customer support, data science, engineering, and sales).
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- US work authorization
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Interacting with APIs
- Semi-structured data in JSON or XML format
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Transforming and standardizing large data sets
- Media, political, geographic, and/or social networking data
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, and R)
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, or distributed databases
- Demonstrated track record working with data warehouse and ETL architectures and concepts.
- Working on data pipelines in support of data analytics or data science applications.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.