What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, building a resource optimization solution for a healthcare provider network, or shaping the product and engagement strategy for a large Fortune 500 company? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial ADS practice in Chicago and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing businesses today.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the solutions and advisory arm of Civis Analytics and works closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. This role of Applied Data Scientist will support clients in our commercial verticals specifically and report to an Applied Data Science Manager.
- An Applied Data Scientist is responsible for the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Unifying large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets and building predictive models
- Deriving clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Creating client-ready materials and solutions for stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Other job responsibilities of an Applied Data Scientist include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Travel requirements: < 5%
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- Proven affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- SQL experience a plus
- Experience with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Experience with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- US work authorization
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.