What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Software Engineers at Civis are responsible for designing and implementing the infrastructure and software products that enable our end users to store, transfer, and process their data. We are looking for Software Engineer to join the Chicago-based team, working closely and collaboratively with product managers, data scientists, and engineers to implement generic solutions to challenging data problems that span industries, technologies, and user personas.
As a Software Engineer - Data Engineering, the infrastructure and software you develop will be foundational to our data science platform and enable internal and external users to build their own data science products and workflows.
You will be responsible for the data intensive portions of our REST API, core abstractions that allow our product to interact with different databases and clouds, and implementing new data infrastructure. Your work may include adding native support for Parquet format to our API, developing a data ingestion framework that enables our users to extract and load their data from a variety of upstream systems, or implementing Spark and Hive on Kubernetes.
This is a mid-level position with ample opportunities for career advancement.
We are looking for ambitious problem-solvers from diverse backgrounds. Our data engineering projects require not only excellent technical skills, but also the eagerness to work collaboratively within a cross-functional team and to consider the experience of our users. Civis encourages its engineers to push the boundaries of the business and help the organization imagine new possibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering field, or commensurate work experience
- Experience developing software for transferring, processing or storing data
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Experience with Python, Ruby or another scripting language
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Database administration and/or query optimization
- Designing and building data-centric APIs
- Distributed computing frameworks (e.g., Spark) and/or a distributed databases
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Working with large data sets
- Working with a cloud provider (e.g., AWS, GC, Azure)
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.