About the Team
Civis’s political team is the world’s leading practice for progressive data analytics tooling and consulting. Our political R&D group is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our team of data scientists and consultants in New York City.
The political R&D group is a special unit within Civis focused on developing cutting-edge analytic products for some of our largest and most sophisticated progressive clients. We focus on informing complex, $100 M+ electoral efforts, to ensure critical campaign funds are directed to the right places, use the best messages, and reach targets where they are.
This is an opportunity to inform political campaigns on the biggest stage, backed by the expertise of a team of PhD data scientists and the outputs of industry-leading analytics tools. If you’re looking for a way to have a big impact on the 2020 election, this is it.
About the Role
The political R&D group is seeking a Senior Engineer to join our team of data scientists and strategists in New York City. We function as the research and development arm for Civis's political work, and we incubate our work directly with some of the largest, most impactful progressive organizations in the country. Problems ranging from large-scale optimization and resource allocation to high dimensional modeling to causal inference make up our day-to-day.
As a Senior Engineer on the political R&D team in our NYC office, you’ll work on a cross-functional team building tools to help progressive leaders answer critical strategic questions. Your day-to-day will range from building and maintaining custom web applications that will be used by the largest progressive political organizations in the country, to working with our data scientists to build production machine learning pipelines on Google Cloud.
- 3+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- Ability to work well in a small team in a self-directed manner
- Ability to learn new techniques and technologies quickly as our needs change
- Comfort building on top of relational databases and fluency in querying them with SQL
- Experience developing web applications with frameworks such as Django or Flask
- Experience with or research into machine learning, preferably using tensorflow
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.