About the Team
Civis’s political team is the world’s leading practice for progressive data analytics tooling and consulting. Our political R&D group is seeking a Data Scientist to join our team of data scientists and consultants in New York City.
The political R&D group is a special unit within Civis focused on developing cutting-edge analytic products for some of our largest and most sophisticated progressive clients. We focus on informing complex, $100 M+ electoral efforts, to ensure critical campaign funds are directed to the right places, use the best messages, and reach targets where they are.
This is an opportunity to inform political campaigns on the biggest stage, backed by the expertise of a team of PhD data scientists and the outputs of industry-leading analytics tools. If you’re looking for a way to have a big impact on the 2020 election, this is it.
About the role
The political R&D group is seeking a Data Scientist to join our team of data scientists and strategists in New York City. We’re a small team who works hard and makes a measurable impact in supporting progressive causes. If you’re looking for a way to have a big impact on the 2020 election, this is it.
We function as the research and development arm for Civis's political work, and we incubate our work directly with some of the largest, most impactful progressive organizations in the country. Problems ranging from large-scale optimization and resource allocation to high dimensional modeling to causal inference make up our day-to-day.
As a Data Scientist on the research and development team in our NYC office, your day-to-day work will involve everything from statistical modeling in Python/R, to the testing and development of statistical software and production-level pipelines, to project management. You will also actively work with our strategy teams to distill and communicate results effectively to our progressive clients.
- Ability to learn new techniques and technologies quickly as our needs change
- Ability to work well in a small team in a self-directed manner
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Proficiency with machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Stan)
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Relevant work experience in applied statistics or machine learning
- Proficiency with Python or R, and SQL
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us email@example.com
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.