About the Company
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. Due to our growth, we have a new role in our public sector practice, which provides data science solutions for Federal, as well as state and local clients.
ADS Leads play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth. You will lead end-to-end delivery of client solutions, including initial business development, problem scoping, and delivery. You will help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company. You will also manage, supervise and mentor a team of Data Scientists in the ADS practice to deliver custom analytic solutions to our clients. In addition, you will work across our engineering, social science, and data research teams, and have the support of our company’s 100+ data scientists and engineers to help bring cutting-edge predictive analytics to our public sector clients.
- Manage and lead a team of data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, to provide consulting services that meet our client’s policy and delivery goals through the use of Civis’ services and technology
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Federal agencies, state and local organizations, educational institutions, and national non-profit foundations
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work, identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in public sector data science
- Manage the relationship with clients and client-facing communication. Communicates all facets of the work with clients of varying technical experience or familiarity with our methods
- Manage a team through the process of defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage and mentor teams of data scientists and analysts
- Travel requirements <25%
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus. This will be demonstrated by having at least 5 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world public sector or business challenges
- Experience presenting in front of key business leaders
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Experience with mentoring or leading teams or projects
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.)
- Experience working in public sector analytics or data science, or in a consulting or advisory firm that serves these clients
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients