About the Company
Have you seen how data can be used to significantly transform how decisions are made within organizations? At Civis Analytics, we believe that organizations need to build a “system” around data-based decision making in order to be competitive in the marketplace, or to serve their constituents. And those that do will truly differentiate themselves. These systems incorporate people, data, technology, and science. Over the last four years, Civis Analytics has become the premier partner for organizations seeking to build those systems. We blend world-class data science talent with proprietary data and cutting-edge software to help firms, nonprofit organizations, and government organizations solve their largest problems.
Civis Analytics helps organizations use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage people. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies, the country’s largest nonprofits, and all levels of government to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best organizations make decisions.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
We are looking for people who are excited about bringing best-in-class data science to state and local government. Civis has significantly expanded our public sector industry vertical in the past year, with clients in Illinois, Texas, Massachusetts, and New York. To build on that success and scale our business, we are looking for an experienced public sector salesperson with a passion for bringing value to state and local government, an understanding of selling within various public sector procurement structures, and an understanding of the emerging technology needs of government. This is a great opportunity for someone who not only knows how to work a sales territory, but who can help Civis leadership strategically determine the right territories in which to make key strategic investments.
Location: Open, with preference for Houston, Texas, Washington, DC, or Chicago IL.
- Expand our small but growing state and local government software and solutions practice into new markets across the United States
- Work with management to define, and then execute on sales strategies by product and/or geographic territory
- Understand target customer buying cycles in-depth, influence those cycles where possible, and accurately forecast sales to Civis management
- Work closely with technical teams to scope solutions to customer needs, to include developing presentations, white papers, and RFP responses
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the procurement structures, key contract vehicles, potential partners, and major competitors in target markets
- Meet and exceed quarterly and annual sales targets and assist the organization in growing existing business
- Maintain a deep understanding of the civic technology space, and how Civis solutions meet the unique needs of state and local government customers
- Identify market changes or new opportunities to and present these opportunities to the Civis executive and product teams
- Represent Civis at industry events and conferences
- BA/BS degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- A strong understanding of the civic technology space, ideally through direct experience with state or local government
- Proven record of selling software solutions and/or services to public sector organizations, especially state and local government
- An ability to interpret and navigate public sector procurement structures in multiple markets
- Strong understanding of and interest in the use of data analytics to improve citizen-facing services
- Effective account / territory planning and time management skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Ability to self-manage and deal with the ambiguity that comes with a successful, growth-stage company
- Strong relationship-building, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Willing and able to travel up to 40%