About the Company
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
Software Engineers are responsible for building the backbone of Civis Analytics -- the software products that our customers use to solve their hardest business problems. Civis engineers have near-endless opportunities to create new products and improve existing processes, from backend data processing to visualization and analytics tools, and we welcome your creativity. Whether you're a generalist or an expert in web apps, big data, stats, or visualization, we want to talk to you.
Our engineers in DC focus on creating solutions for political and advocacy clients. We build tools for decision makers to allocate resources and an analytics platform for data scientists to integrate data, target outreach, and answer questions on the fly.
What's great about being an engineer at Civis?
We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we set up our team to reinforce those values. We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new products in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility. We want to never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today. Engineers collaborate across departments with our data scientists and analysts who are not only the best and brightest in their fields, but are also eager to teach and learn from you. Finally, valuing continuous learning also means recognizing that our strongest contributors stand out for their capabilities and not their credentials. We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird.
Does this sound like you?
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- 3+ years experience as a software developer/engineer
- Experience developing web applications with frameworks such as Rails or Django
- Comfort working with with SQL databases
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Passion for progressive politics
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
- Significant experience with one or more of the following:
- Developing large web applications
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Progressive data tools and infrastructure
- Designing and building APIs
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)