What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the Role
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways — like helping nonprofits increase participation in vital social services, figuring out how to get families saving for college and retirement, or completely changing the way advocacy organizations talk about their policy platforms?
The Social Science Research and Development team spearheads the effort to solve challenges around survey research and our work is applied to a variety of both domestic and international political clients, non-profit clients, and corporate clients.
The data scientists on our team have a variety of backgrounds including physics, political science, and mathematics. We function as the core research group for Civis’s measurement products and political practice, solving problems ranging from large-scale optimization and resource allocation to high dimensional modeling to causal inference.
As a member of our team, your day-to-day work will involve everything from project management, statistical modeling in Python/R to the testing and development of statistical software. You will also actively work with our Applied Data Science teams to help clients make better data-driven decisions, and with our engineering teams to scale new research ideas into production.
- Ability to learn new techniques and technologies quickly as our needs change
- Ability to work well in a small team in a self-directed manner
- Survey research experience
- Python/R and SQL experience
- Machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Stan)
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Four years of work experience in the field of analytical science (work experience includes RA, Post-doc)
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.