What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the Role
Tech Leads aka Engineering Managers at Civis are working engineers that lead and manage a single team of 3 - 5 engineers. They are expected to enter with, and maintain, a senior level of technical aptitude. Engineering Managers typically are hands on keyboard about 70% of their week on average and report into a Senior Engineering Manager.
Our Tech Leads exhibit excellent judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making important decisions about technology, architecture, priorities and project staging. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products. As part of the tech leadership team you will collaborate with your peers to set department direction, inspire the team and build great products.
What's great about engineering at Civis? We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we run our team to reinforce those values.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new features in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility. We’re looking for a technology leader to champion this culture while ensuring efficient delivery of scalable, reliable software.
We never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today. Engineers collaborate across departments with our data scientists and analysts who are not only the best and brightest in their fields, but are also eager to teach and learn from you. Finally, valuing continuous learning also means recognizing that our strongest contributors stand out for their capabilities and not their credentials.
We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 1+ years leading teams of engineers
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and engineering processes, especially on high growth teams
- Experience building complex web applications with modern languages and frameworks
- Love of problem-solving and a demonstrable ability to self-start
- Exemplification of an eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
Significant experience with any of the following:
- Developing large web applications or web services
- Leading technical teams
- Experience with project management and/or UI/UX design
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Designing and building APIs
- Containerization using Docker
- Container orchestration using Kubernetes or similar
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)
- Political technology and data
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.